Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

Series Status: The 1st book in The Illuminae Files series

Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers

Page Count: 599

Synopsis: This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do. This afternoon, her planet was invaded. The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it.

With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit. But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet’s AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it’s clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she’d never speak to again.

Review: I don’t know what I was expecting, but this was not it. My expectations were set fairly low for this book, maybe because of the formatting I thought it might not be as interesting, but I was completely wrong. This book completely exceeded my expectations. Although it took me a while to get into, it soon became very interesting and engrossing, I read it in one sitting. The first 40% of the book was slow-paced (and humorous) but the rest of the 60% of the book completely made up for it. It was very entertaining and riveting.

I give this book 4.5/5 stars and would highly recommend it to fans of sci-fi and fantasy.

For more reviews from readers of Illuminae, click here.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s